Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Victorian Baby Carriage ~

I went antiquing again today (a good way to spend a rainy afternoon away from the computer!) I was fascinated with this antique white wicker baby carriage (or pram.) I've seen them in movies (Scarlett and Rhett walking Bonnie Blue in Gone With the Wind comes to mind) but I'd never seen one in person. I was taken with how elaborate and big it is compared to baby strollers of today. It's actually larger in person than it appears in this photo.


I came home and looked up photos on Google Images of other Victorian baby carriages. The first pram was created in 1733 by William Kent to transport the children of  the Duke of Devonshire. By the Victorian era, they were widely used in both the United Kingdom and the U.S.




This yellow one stands apart from the usual white ones, plus it has a fancy umbrella to shade baby's face!


This is another carriage in the shop I visited today ~ it also has an unbrella. It's so interesting to see how things have evolved over the years.


 I hope you've enjoyed this "stroll" back in time. Until next time,
Cindy

Linking to White Wednesday on Faded Charm
                                   Time Travel Thursday on Brambleberry Cottage

10 comments:

Madame Wildflower said...

I love browsing through antique shops! You just never know the types of treasures you will find.

I enjoyed viewing the photos of the prams. The yellow pram with the umbrella I found to be quite unique.

So now I am wondering - do you own a little pram of your own? :)

Shabbily By The Sea said...

Oh i loved this post,thank you!
The yellow one with the umbrella is divine,the Victorians were so romantic xx

Mr Puddy said...

Those antique stroll will look so purrfect if have the kitty like me in there : )
Have a lovely day Cindy
Thanks for sharing
xoxo

Kathryn Ross said...

Hi Cindy - I'm getting you on facebook AND my blog list now! Love the prams. Prams is short for a huge word "perambulator" which is not used anymore. Neither is "carriage". Stroller is the contemporary word. Today's strollers are super gadgety - in much the same way that yesterday's strollers were super fancified and stylish.

I have two - reproductions, of course - in a corner of my living room with vintage bears and baby dolls. And, I do have my own baby carriage from the 1950's - way large - in the basement holding stuffed animals.

Love the hallmarks of innocent childhood of old.

Thanks for posting a favorite thing.

Joy!
Kathy

Lynn said...

What a lovely post! Thanks for visiting my pink blog the other day and commenting on my kitty cat. Your cats look so sweet too! Best wishes, Lynn

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh, I LOVE baby carriages--these are amazing!!! Sending (((hugs))) your way!

XO
Cindy

LDH said...

Hi Cindy!

I have a special place in my heart for these very sweet baby carriages. I have perused several of your posts and enjoyed each one. Lovely place you have here! Fun stopping by!

Kindly, Lorraine

Sherry said...

I have one of these. We restored it and painted it white. It looks like the yellow one. They are huge. I am thinking about getting it out for Christmas. Great post.
Sherry

arshi khan said...

I want to buy this carriage how to order for it

Olivia Princess said...

And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things,
visit website

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...