Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hometown Visit ~

I visited my hometown today ~ Bucyrus, Ohio, population 13,000, known as "The Bratwurst Capital of the World," for its' annual Bratwurst Festival each August. It was a quintessential small Midwest town in the 50s and 60s, where we didn't lock our doors and played outside 'til dusk in the summertime. I haven't lived there in over 30 years, and my parents have both passed on, so it's always nostalgic going there ~ but in a good way. Here's a photo of the outside of my parents' former home.


 The following photos are of a mural painted on the side of a building at the town square. What used to be an empty parking lot has been transformed into a park-like area with fountains, benches, and rose bushes. The centerpiece is the mural painted by artist Eric Grohe. It depicts the town square as it was in the early 1900s and about 80 local citizens posed for figures in the mural. 


Close-ups


 Notice the couple at the top of the courthouse steps that just got married and are getting their photo taken!


In this one, you can see one neighbor borrowing a cup of sugar or flour from another!


The following goodies were in one of the downtown shops - so many gorgeous things for Autumn. This shop is housed in what we used to call the "dime store" when we were kids! I can assure you, nothing in here costs only a dime now!! 





For more about artist Eric Grohe, click HERE. Until next time, have a great week!

11 comments:

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Bucyrus looks very pretty and sounds like it was a wonderful place to grow up! I love Bratwurst so I'd love to go to this festival someday. Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Kathryn Ross said...

What a lovely hometown downtown! I'm involved in a small way with our own hometown revitalization and we've got a new mural going up this fall depicting all the things our town has been famous for. Not nearly so fascinating as your mural! I love all the activity and stories it tells! I had lived away from my hometown for 22 years - returning some 8 years ago. Picked up where I left off. All my family are still here - except for one of my sisters who is in Florida. Great to be a part of my hometown where every corner is a childhood memory!
Joy!
Kathy

Terri said...

I love your blog title! Perfect! Art, tea and books, what more could one want???
I saw you on The Writer's Reverie's blog roll and that is how I found you.
Hugs,
Terri

Jo's This and That said...

Love your post! Looks like a nice place to grow up in.Thanks for sharing,Joann

Karen said...

It's always nice to go back "home". I enjoyed your photos, and the mural is fabulous!

Brenda said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful childhood, Cindy. I would love to own a house just like that.

Cindy Adkins said...

I know you can tell I was here because I pushed the plus one button! LOL
WOW, this is an amazing post with so many beautiful treasures to behold!!!
(((hugs))) from me,
Cindy (the other one! lol)

Susanne said...

Good morning Cindy. I have been through your home town a few times on my way to Columbus. It does have the pretty mural downtown and it is awesome! It looks like whoever is living in your old home is taking care of it, and that is a good thing. Thank you for reminding me how pretty your hometown is. Next time I go through there I will stop and look around a bit. Have a good weekend.

Susanne said...

Good morning Cindy. I have been through your home town a few times on my way to Columbus. It does have the pretty mural downtown and it is awesome! It looks like whoever is living in your old home is taking care of it, and that is a good thing. Thank you for reminding me how pretty your hometown is. Next time I go through there I will stop and look around a bit. Have a good weekend.

Linda said...

Looks like a wonderful town! I love the mural...very pretty!

ohiofarmgirl said...

I go there often to the Sherwin Williams store...and the other business you posted about too. It is beautiful. Dianntha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...